Now lets understand this….
In fact smoked fish is highly nutritious and decreases the risk of osteoporosis than any other method of fish preparation. But the big question is this? what method is best for smoking fish. Research has shown that the best method is the use of oven, stating that smoking by charcoal produces carbon which is not good for health and can predispose you to cancer.
There is an alternative, when you use charcoal or firewood to smoke your fish, do not eat the skin of the fish.( the brownish black layer that covers it) .
Before you smoke the fish:
- Clean the fish by removing the intestines and the gills. You may leave in the intestines if you like, as done by smoked fish mongers in Nigeria but the intestines give the fish a bitter taste when done.
- Rinse the fish thoroughly to clean all the blood.
- Rub some salt all over the fish. Do not go overboard with the salt, fish can easily get too salty.
- Bend the fish and put the tail fin across the mouth.
- Use a toothpick to join the upper and lower jaw of the fish.
- Repeat the process for the rest of the fish and then smoke in your oven..